8.3.11

paris RTW fall 2011 faves

This year's Fall ready to wear collections have already surfaced, and therefore I spent many a minute surfing through countless designer collections, and have written up some of my favourites.

First, of course, is one of my favourite designers, Stella McCartney. I love how she always designs for the real, hard-working woman, opting for comfort but remaining effortlessly chic. The fact that she loves animals as much as I do, and does not allow the harm of them to enter her collections adds points in my books as well. Her fall collection featured a lot of neutrals, such as dark blues, greys, blacks, and whites, but with pops of gem tone blues and metallic gold. It ranges from lightweight, loose but flattering dresses, to 80's and 90's inspired power suits with oversized boyfriend jackets. We also see many slimmer fit dresses, and a polka dot pattern throughout different pieces. All in all, a fabulous collection! My favourite was a patterned grey and white jumpsuit, a piece that Stella has perfected.

Another of my favourite collections was none other than Givenchy. Such a brilliant designer, he took things to the next level this fall. Full of edge, black, and embellished with panthers, it's a wild, fun, sexy, yet beautiful collection. Sheer bodices, tops, and hemlines, pin up girl embellishment on tops, and rich fabrics such as velvet (love!). Everything from tops to skirts to jackets had a collage of panthers throughout, displaying his obvious inspirations. My favourite piece would have to be the velvet pencil skirt; I've been dying for one.


Last but not least, I felt that Comme des Garcons designer Rei Kawakubo had one of the most beautiful collections. There was lots of colour and pattern, which intrigued me since there was such a neutral theme to many other collections. I feel as though Kawakubo's collections are so much fun, as though a mood could instantly rise by slipping an item of his design. This fall season's collection was no different. He mastered an almost "unfinished" look; swatches of different patterns placed roughly into one piece, ruffled and ruched and knotted together ... yet it's beautiful! There were also a couple of beautifully constructed LBDS and unfinished jackets, missing a sleeve or a back. A lot of shorts, jackets (some fully constructed, some not), and dresses. To say this collection was not elaborate would be a fallacy. My favourite piece would have to be the the sleveless, knee length dress which looks like pieces of a million different fabrics and patterns have been sewn together messily.


There were so many beautiful collections this year, but those were a couple that stood out to me the most. And, if all goes well, one day I may be reporting from front row! 




Love it? Wear it. Own it!
-xo